Web server updates

I’ve been planning to do some software updates to my web server for a while. Over the last couple of days I’ve been slowly doing bits and pieces – slowly because I had an operation for carpal tunnel syndrome and can’t use both hands. So far I’ve done the following:

  • Upgraded WordPress to the latest version – fairly simple process.
  • Automated backups of the site and databases.
  • Added Xcache to my PHP installation, which Ubuntu makes a very simple process.
  • Installed Awstats – again very simple under Ubuntu.
  • Added Google analytics, just to try for a while, using the Google Analyticator WP plugin.
  • Added the Google XML sitemap generator WP plugin – Google doesn’t seem to have picked this up yet.
  • Switched my web server from Apache to Cherokee. Cherokee is designed to be small and fast, and as I’ve been having some memory usage issues on the server I decided to give it a try. It’s a bit of a pain to get working with WordPress, but I eventually figured out the correct redirection rules and got it up and running. Pages are now being served much faster, and memory usage on the machine is significantly lower.
  • Added the TanTan Flickr plugin for WordPress, which seems to be better maintained than Falbum (which I was using previously).